Stop the Gag Reflex. Click to help real people.

January 1, 2012

Thomas Dean Griffiths

Tommy was born December 16th at 4:55 pm. He weighed 7 lbs. 9 oz. and was 20 inches long. I couldn't have been happier with how the delivery went. This time around I wanted to have my baby naturally which is a total shocker since I have always been so pro-epidural and had good experiences having Jack and Scarlett. My new way of thinking all started when I was very newly pregnant and was talking to one of my best friends who told me about her experience having her baby naturally. I really surprised myself when I thought it sounded like a great idea and I felt really good about doing it. So I decided to read and read and read. I loved the books so much I couldn't put them down! I read a couple of the books several times. The things I read made so much sense. I started practicing breathing and relaxing months before I was due and I was really looking forward to the birth. At 37 weeks pregnant, my blood pressure got high. I wasn't too surprised since the same thing happened with my first two pregnancies when I was this far along. At my appointment with my midwife on the 15th, a week and a half later, my blood pressure was still high. I was dilated 2-3 cm and 70% effaced at that point. She wanted to see me back the next day so I could have a non-stress test done to make sure the baby was healthy and tolerating the high blood pressure. Luckily the test went great and afterwards we walked back to her office next door. She checked me again and I was 4 cm and completely effaced! She sent us straight back to the hospital to be admitted and she broke my water at 2:30.

This was about three hours before he was born. Wowza. Look at that BELLY!

The contractions started hard and fast right away. We decided to walk the halls for a while, then after about a half hour I was ready to relax in my delivery room. For the next hour and a half I breathed and relaxed through my contractions with no trouble. Then I started needing Jonathan to coach me through. The contractions were getting really intense and it was getting harder to stay relaxed through them. About ten minutes later, my midwife came in and she wanted to check me and said it might be a good idea to get in the jacuzzi tub. That sounded great to me - I was ready to try something different. But as soon as she checked me she said, "You're not getting in the tub. We're going to have this baby! Bring in a delivery table!" I couldn't believe it. I was dilated 7.5 already. At this point the contractions were unbelievably intense. But they didn't last long! Just ten minutes later I heard Jonathan announce, "It's a boy!" It was absolutely one of the best moments of my life. They immediately put Tommy on me. I did it! He was so precious. We couldn't stop staring at his little face - what a miracle. As soon as he was born I really had no pain. I hated sitting in that dumb hospital bed and didn't like the nurses trying to cart me around in a wheelchair. They thought I was crazy for walking down the hall for Tommy's first bath (really?). But I felt great! We were only in the hospital for 19 hours after he was born.

Jack and Scarlett got to meet Tommy first thing the next morning. We were nervous about how it would go but they loved him immediately and kissed him and kissed him!














What a great experience it all has been. We feel so blessed to have Tommy in our lives. He has brought us so much happiness already.





6 comments:

Megan said...

Aww what a great story! I love hearing people's birth stories! Congratulations on going natural, it really is something to be proud of! He is so adorable, looks just like your other babies. :)

Kyle and Megan said...

He is so cute! And I love your story! You'll have to clue me in on your secrets when were ready to have our third.

Davis Valley Classic said...

He is such a cutie! Good for you for going natural, that sounds like an amazing experience! And you look great, I am so impressed that you are working out and staying healthy through the tiring first month of newborn life! :) So happy for you!

Heather Ashcroft said...

Way to go Emily! He is a cute, cute baby! Congrats to your family.

Andy Porter said...

He is absolutely adorable! Congratulations!! Enjoy that cute little baby:)

Tyler and Lisa said...

You are one amazing chick! I had Kai naturally and it was NOT easy! Glad it went all great for you...love his name and he's darling! Congrats!